My Dad fought Hitler for 6 years in the Royal Air Force between 1940 and 1946.  No-one told him the war was over and as a nutter fae Breich it took a while for him to realise it was all over.  Here he is in his RAF prime with his future best man Phil McCluskey.

scan0006I had two Uncle Bills, one on each side of the family. But it was the Hamilton one who got killed in the Second World War.

William George Bell Hamilton

o 18 JAN 1920
o in West Calder, West Lothian, Scotland

o 22 MAY 1941
o in HMS Gloucester

My Dad used to go up to the Scottish National War Memorial every year and look him up in the book. You can still visit it without paying the admission to Edinburgh Castle.

I’ve got all the paperwork from my Gran, who had to wait what must have seemed like a lifetime, from the missing in action letter to confirmation of his death. I’ll get round to scanning that in sometime, but here’s a picture of the posthumous medals that got sent to my Grandad.


Sinking of the HMS Gloucester, 1941

22 May 1941 , Crete

Gloucester formed part of a naval force acting against German military transports to Crete, with some success. On 22 May 1941, while in the Kithera Channel, about 14 mi (12 nmi; 23 km)14 miles (26 km) north of Crete, she was attacked by German Stuka dive bombers and sank, having sustained at least four heavy bomb hits and three near-misses. Of the 807 men aboard at the time of her sinking, only 85 survived. Her sinking is considered to be one of Britain’s worst wartime naval disasters.

The circumstances of the sinking were featured by a BBC programme. According to this, the despatch of Gloucester, alone and low on fuel and anti-aircraft ammunition (less than 20% remaining), into danger was a “grievous error”. Furthermore, the failure to attempt to rescue survivors after dark was “contrary to usual Navy practice”. A survivor commented “The tradition in the Navy is that when a ship has sunk, a vessel is sent back to pick up survivors under cover of darkness. That did not happen and we do not know why. We were picked up by Germans.”

Another account of the sinking differs from, and adds to, the BBC report. In this, Gloucester and Fiji, both already low on ammunition, had been sent to support the rescue of survivors from the destroyer Greyhound. Fierce air attacks further depleted their ammunition and they were given permission to rejoin the main fleet. It was during their return that Gloucester was sunk. Fiji was sunk later the same day.

On 30 May 1941, in a letter to the First Sea Lord, Sir Dudley Pound, Admiral Cunningham wrote, “The sending back of Gloucester and Fiji to the Greyhound was another grave error and cost us those two ships. They were practically out of ammunition but even had they been full up I think they would have gone. The Commanding Officer of Fiji told me that the air over Gloucester was black with planes.”

The wrecksite is a protected place under the Protection of Military Remains Act.